Popular Posts

Sunday, April 9, 2017

LM Mental Interview: Barbie Castro


In LM Mental’s FIRST interview, I profile actor/producer/writer Barbie Castro (“Boyfriend Killer,” “Patient Killer,” “Assumed Killer”)

Castro might seem like a new face to Lifetime viewers, but she’s been entertaining audiences for much of her life.

Recently, Lifetime movie audiences experienced Castro’s acting talents as grieving mother Sandra Cruz Durro in “Boyfriend Killer.” She also served as an executive producer on this movie that also stars Patrick Muldoon and Kate Mansi.

Lifetime has proven to be a “Killer” outlet for Castro’s talents. Before “Boyfriend Killer," she starred in and produced “Patient Killer” and “Assumed Killer." Up next for Castro is “Girlfriend Killer.”

Long before Lifetime, Castro  was just another teen with a dream. Growing up in Miami, Castro always wanted to be an entertainer and gained plenty of experience as a vocalist for a girl group – opening for the likes of Menudo – and as a runway model. She also competed in beauty pageants and ultimately found her way to the world of theatre.

Following a stint in her high school drama club, Castro took her passion for performing to college. She worked her way through school and met a lifelong leading man in Eric Castro. The two married, and Castro took on her greatest roles as a wife and mother.

With the support of husband Eric and daughters Rhys and Taylor, Castro launched a career as an actor and producer.

Her first film that she starred in and produced was the short film "Conduit” in 2011 (directed by future collaborator Alyn Darnay, who would go on to helm several Lifetime movies). The thriller earned rave reviews on the festival circuit and received several awards.

A fan of Lifetime films, Castro then focused her energies on producing “Assumed Killer” with screen legend Armand Assante in 2013. The success of that television feature led to collaborations with MarVista Entertainment, and the rest has been history as Castro has been a driving force behind a series of “Killer” movies (alongside veteran screenwriter Christine Conradt) including “Patient Killer” in 2015 (written by Brian D. Young and Bryan Dick, co-starring Victoria Pratt and Casper Van Dien) and the recent “Boyfriend Killer (co-starring Patrick Muldoo and Kate Mansi).  Next up is “Girlfriend Killer,” which is due later this year. Future films also include “Killer Island” (also written by Conradt) and “Lifestyle Killer” (written by Doug Cambpell and David Chester).

Castro took time from her busy schedule to provide LM Mental with an exclusive interview. She discussed her career and offered a glimpse into the upcoming “Girlfriend Killer.”

Barbie Castro and Patrick Muldoon in "Boyfriend Killer"

LM Mental: Can you offer some details on your upcoming film "Girlfriend Killer" and your character?

Barbie Castro: I play Carmen Ruiz, a woman who owns Simply Splendid Proposals. Men hire Carmen to record their wedding proposals. Unfortunately, one of the proposals goes wrong, and a woman declines her would-be husband. My character goes to console him, and he ends up making Carmen the target of his next obsession.

LM Mental: You've balanced producing/executive producing duties with acting in your past few films. Can you discuss the challenges (or advantages) of juggling producing and acting roles during a production?

Castro: People ask me how I do it. I handle most of the pre and post production responsibilities. I rely heavily on Carole Wood, the unit production manager during production. I feel very comfortable with my team. Director Alyn Darnay has been working with me for many years and he is wonderful. He directed “Conduit,” “Boyfriend Killer” and “Girlfriend Killer,” so he knows me well. I’ve also had the opportunity to work with great actors. I guess the bottom line is that through trial and error, I have been able to compile a team that works very well together.

LM Mental: Why do you think films such as "Boyfriend Killer" and other Lifetime movies and others are so popular with audiences? 

Castro: I think we have learned to trust that Lifetime will always have a new movie for us to watch when we are home on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. Plus, these movies are relatable. It's important to make movies that make us say, "That can happen to me." So, that’s why I think people turn to Lifetime/LMN, and I must add that my films are not TV movies. We target Lifetime, but we are not guaranteed an acquisition from the network... so I could produce a movie hoping the network would acquire it, and it might be turned down. It's definitely a risk.

LM Mental: Do you have a favorite project you've worked on? If so, why is it so special to you?

Castro: So far, all of my projects have been special to me. I don't have one in particular that stands out, but I definitely want to keep this current creative team together as long as possible. Without my collaborators, I wouldn't be as driven to make more movies.

LM Mental: In addition to the collaborators you’ve mentioned, who else would you like to credit for making your projects special?

Castro: Jon Schellenger, cinematographer and the post production team make going to the set a pleasant experience. They all love what they do. It's always a win-win situation. Also,  composer Chad Rehmann and the team at Juniper Post are great. All of my co-stars have been wonderful and remain in contact with me.

LM Mental:  Is there anyone whom you haven't worked with that you'd like to ... or is there a dream co-star you'd love to perform with...and why?

Castro: There is something about Mark Walhberg, Kevin Bacon, Robert De Niro, Andy Garcia, Julianne Moore and Reese Witherspoon... the list goes on. Armand Assante was on that list and I was honored to work with him in "Assumed Killer."  Who knows? Maybe someday I will have the honor of working with them.

LM Mental: Do you think Lifetime offers independent filmmakers an outlet to spotlight their works?

Castro: Yes, definitely. I believe a well-made film with a good script and solid production value can have success on Lifetime/LMN. I am very grateful.

LM Mental: Any other projects beyond "Girlfriend Killer" to mention? 

Castro: I have two scripts in development -- "Killer Island" set to shoot May 2017 and Lifestyle Killer."

Ultimately, my future goal is to figure out how to create a series... since I am in Florida, and I do not want to move to California, I have to figure out how to create work here.

LM Mental: What advice do you have for anyone entering the film industry as an actor or producer?

Castro: As a producer, you have to be honest true to yourself and stay humble. Don't take things personally. For example, many producers do not like to hear or admit to themselves that their product has flaws. If you cannot accept constructive criticism, you will not grow. I usually go to my biggest critic to get advice on the script and on the first draft of the movie because I know this person is going to be blunt and give me an honest opinion. I welcome it. I need it to perfect the final product.

Another mistake that I often see is the lack of post sound/Foley or color correction in films. It's important to seek the help of others who have succeeded in making quality films - a mentor. Surround yourself with people who have succeeded, go to events, take action even if its with a handheld camera. Shoot a short film and learn things for yourself.
  
For actors, I offer the same advice in terms of taking action. Join the next acting class in town. Meet people. Get headshots. Find an agent. Be true to what you look like and what roles you can play. Submit yourself for roles even if there is no pay, just for practice, so you can have demo reels or IMDB credits. Set goals for yourself and consider relocating if there is not enough work in your hometown.

Also, be likable. People work with people whose company they enjoy, so don't be a thorn in anyone's side on or off set. Be likable. Think like a team player.

Barbie Castro in "Patient Killer"




No comments:

Post a Comment